1. Liberty Bell- one of the most popular destinations in Philadelphia, you can pay homage to this Indepedence icon for free!
2. Independence Hall- just next to the Liberty Bell you can see the building where our Founding Fathers toiled in oppressive heat, and risked their lives and fortunes to create a new and everlasting nation.
3. U.S. Mint- it won't cost you a cent to see where coins are made!
4. The Rocky Statue- No trip to Philadelphia would be complete without a run up the famous Philadelphia Museum of Arts steps to the Rocky Statue!
5. The Chemical Heritage Foundation – This museum cost $20 million to build, but its free of charge to visit. Located in a former Civil War-era bank building, the exhibit Making Modernity, showcases hundreds of artifacts from the 18th to the 20th centuries, including scientific objects, artwork, rare books and everyday objects that tell the stories of discoveries that shaped the modern world.
6. Herrs Snack Factory- see how potato chips, pretzels, and other delicious snacks are made! And go home with a free sample!
7. Storytelling Benches - Once Upon A Nation’s Storytelling Sessions storytelling Benches - available all around Historic Philadelphia, including Christ Church, Franklin Square and Signers’ Garden. Children can obtain a Story Flag at any bench, collect a star from each storyteller and exchange the flag complete with 13 stars for a certificate and oupon book at the Independence Living History Center or the Franklin Square Shop. Benches are open daily from Memorial Day through Labor Day
8. The Gazela- This historic ship is over 100 years old. Currently, she is the good-will ambassador for the port of Philadelphia, where she serves as a reminder of the city's heritage as a great international port.
9. Scott Arboretum - Located on the grounds of Swarthmore College, this 300-acre arboretum features 4,000 varieties of regional ornamental plants and garden workshops, all free of charge.
10. Ritthenhouse Summer Concert Series- enjoy a free outdoor concert every Wednesday night!